Tuesday, November 07, 2006

With bated breath

So here we are at the decisive moment, when the world will learn if I was right about my predictions, or not. The first prediction, that the Democrats will not capture either house of Congress seems to be a losing proposition now, according to the polls and pundits, but I haven't given up hope. This is not to say that I value my accuracy more than having a Democratic Congress, and some slight possibility of reversing this country's slide into the abyss, but with 100% right I could land a cush job with Madame Olivia reading palms and tea leaves. Believe me, that beats reading entrails hands down and the pay is better.
Billmon has an good post about the current Republican party:
Like everybody else, I don't know what's going to happen today, but this election has already illuminated one critical truth: The modern GOP -- or, more specifically, the Axis of '70s Campus Republicans now running it -- really is just a criminal enterprise disguised as a political party.
The question is, can such a criminal enterprise allow its own defeat? Doesn't the prospect of Democrats with subpoena power mean real trouble? Or, can it be that they know that there really isn't anything to worry about?
Anyway, I just want to remind you that if the election is close enough, there might be enough seats in dispute that the election will not be decided by tomorrow. I shall not surrender in that case until the House is seated with a Democratic majority.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home