Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mercy

I'm an atheist of the Yossarian school, that is, I hold a low opinion of the deity I don't believe in. But I don't want to dwell on it, I'd just as soon he follow in own inexistent path as I do mine, and ne'er the twain shall meet.

But that's nigh on impossible in our modern USA, any catastrophe will provoke the press to bring the supreme being into the matter. Take the floods in the Midwest, here's CNN doing some holy reporting:
"We're just kind of at God's mercy right now, so hopefully people that never prayed before this, it might be a good time to start," Linn County Sheriff Don Zeller said. "We're going to need a lot of prayers, and people are going to need a lot of patience and understanding."
Evidently Sheriff Zeller's god adds up the number of prayers, and adjusts the universe accordingly. MSNBC runs with the same quote as well.

And then there's my pet peeve, the playing of 'God Bless America' during the seventh inning stretch. I will not stand, and I will not sing, I don't believe in God and would just as soon he didn't bless America. This take-over of a noble tradition, standing for the home team in the middle of the seventh, and standing for the away team at the beginning of the seventh has now been trashed. The brain dead American public will bounce up and down like run amok jack-in-the-boxes if their masters tell them too. Why just in the seventh, why not stand up in between every inning, you morons? And why don't you pray for something useful, like a tight bomb pattern?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you don't believe in God, you certainly don't have to worry about Him blessing America. God has blessed this country and will continue to do so as long as there are few Christians working for His glory.

These floods are not an "act of God," but rather a result of our sinful nature at work. The Earth is the devils playground until Jesus returns to send him to his eternal home in the lake of fire. Hopefully atheists will come to the Truth before that happens too, or life forever in the pit of hell will be home. I do not wish such on anyone, rather I hope and pray for America every day. I will pray for you too. I am not without sin either, just sanctified through Christ's death on a bloody cross. God is love, we Christians must make sure we exhibit the same love to everyone and pray for those who are lost or hurting....you are in my prayers...

6/12/2008 11:00 PM  
Blogger Dick Durata said...

God is love but condemns people to the 'lake of fire' for eternity? That makes my head hurt.

6/13/2008 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home