Thursday, September 28, 2006

It's all over now, babies blue

The Senate has passed the terror/torture/detention bill. It's nearly the same as the House bill, so it might be signed by Dear Leader this week.
I'm finding it more and more difficult to imagine how the United States can ever return from the abyss we've dived into. Congress is a collection of cowardly, thieving knaves, the press is in cahoots with the worst administration ever, and the voters think everything is great if the price of gas goes down before an election. Stevens, the possible fifth vote on the Supreme Court that could preserve some tatters of the Constitution is now 86, when he dies or quits there will be a solid majority that believes in supreme executive power.
The authoritarian impulse will accelerate. The difference between a 'cut and run' Democrat and a treasonous Democrat is very thin and those with the guts to speak up are going to be labeled just that, 'traitors'. I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't yet seen a more robust 'brownshirt' movement, that's the logical next step and perhaps the time is now.
Anyway, I guess I've just got to learn to live with this queasy feeling in my guts, at least until something worse happens.
Whither are we moving now? Away from all suns? Are we not plunging, continually? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there any up or down left? Are we not straying as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space?
-F. Nietzsche

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those last few words written by F.Nietzche are exactly how I feel every day when I wake up.. If I think about the political situation, in Italy, in America, and in the world, it makes me cringe with fear. I could say I'm lucky, my generation is seeing the new Middle Ages, but I don't feel lucky for some reason... The ignorance of the people around me is extremely heavy, the major part of them don't even now whats happening in Italy, imagine in the rest of the world.. I've seriously been thinking about asking political asylum in Spain, the only country in Europe left with a bit of sense in there political actions. W Zapatero! I was thinking, and if all the people who don't agree with "Bush Politics" went to the moon?? Maybe there we could find some sanity... Love ya Dad!!!!!

9/29/2006 3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEAR DICKIE......WELCOME TO THE FRAY. WE - THE COALITION OF THE OPPOSITION - SALUTE YOU FOR SPEAKING OUT AGAINST THE MARCH TOWARD FASCISM. THIS ADMINISTRATION - WHICH YOU CORRECTLY IDENTIFY AS THE WORST IN AMERICAN HISTORY - HAS INEXORABLY TAKEN US DOWN THE ROAD TO MEDIOCRITY AND OBLIVION. AS MUCH AS MY FAITH IN THE MEDIA - WITH FEW EXCEPTIONS - HAS DIMINISHED I HAVE A FEELING THAT WE ARE ABOUT TO WITNESS AN AWAKENING IN THE ELECTORATE THAT WILL SUPRISE THOSE OF US WHO ARE AGONIZING OVER THE EVENTS OF THE LST SIX YEARS OF THE BUSH DISFUNCTIONALISTS. MY PREDICTION - WELL,HOPE - IS THAT BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS WILL GO DEMOCRATIC. THAT EVENT WILL OPEN UP THE INEPTITUDE OF THE BUSHIES TO THE SCRUTINY THIS COINTRY DESERVES. THE PANDORAS BOX THAT HAS BEEN OPENED WITH THE WAR IN IRAQ MAY WELL BE WITH US FOREVER. I HOPE I'M WRONG. BUT FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELTS FOR A FUTURE FILLED WITH A VERY LONG WAR OF RELIGION. DICK, YOU MAY PUBLISH THIS COMMENTARY ON YOUR WONDERFUL BLOG

9/30/2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Dick Durata said...

Tom, I think your caps lock is on.

9/30/2006 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/30/2006 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a queer feeling that is almost like "Get on with it" I can't bear the tension, will we turn from the abyss? I almost want the whole thing to hurry up and be decided one way or another.

10/18/2006 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home