Monday, April 02, 2007

He's still there...

Contrary to earlier reports, Daniel Glaser is still in Beijing:
A US Treasury official was still in China on Monday, eight days after he arrived to help resolve the transfer of frozen North Korean funds to a Bank of China account.

“He is still here,” a US embassy spokeswoman said late Monday when asked about Daniel Glaser, the US Deputy Assistant Secretary for Terrorist Financing and Financial Crimes.

Are the Chinese fed up yet? It can't be pleasant for them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cutler said...

Hey Dick Durata. Thanks for the link to your blog and also the links on Blog Simple to China Matters. Both are new to me. Fascinating!

I confess that I have not given the contemporary Korean/China deal more attention. That said, I have had my head buried in books about battles over Manchuria and Korea 100 years ago. I wonder how much of the battle today could be considered a replay of the old Great Power rivalries.

So, who would you identify as a key "neocon" at Treasury? Is that Daniel Glaser?

I would assume that Paulson is considered a "realist" who favors considerable engagement with China, etc. So how long does a China hawk/neocon have at Treasury under Paulson?

Finally, I guess I wanted to note the passing of your dog, Cassie. Very sorry.

4/02/2007 5:42 PM  
Blogger Dick Durata said...

Prof. Cutler, I don't know the answer to "Who's the neo-con in Treasury?". Maybe all of them.
Stuart Levey seems to be the point man, Glaser works for him, but Paulsen must have signed off on the mining of the six-party talks. This China Matters post has most of the background stuff.
It's often hard to know when these conflicts (State/Treasury) derive from ideology, and when they are more due to the struggle for power in Washington.
Thanks for your words about Cassie, I appreciate it. She was an old dog whose time had come, but it's still a big loss for me, inevitable or not.

4/02/2007 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home