Thursday, August 02, 2007

Ricearoni

The fact that Rice signed a joint statement on Tuesday that endorsed the 2002 Arab League peace proposal with Israel has made less noise than an exhale in a sports arena. No major US media reported it, as far as I can tell by using my mad google skilz.

My guess at this point is that the statement was made for Arab ears only, and was part of a deal that included Saudi Arabia saying they were 'keen' (their word, not mine) to attend a peace conference with Israel. So I'm going back on my compliments in my last post, it was neither bold, nor courageous, just calculated diplomacy, to give it a nice word.

It's also another good example of the US (and British) press rigorously censoring the news. With no coverage, there is no comment, and life goes on in the dark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home