Sunday, April 08, 2007

Enough already

If you were watching the broadcast of the Giants-Dodgers game today you might have glimpsed a distinguished gentleman directly behind home plate, twelve rows back or so. That was me, the humble proprietor of this blog, hoping to enjoy a victory by the home nine against the barbaric hordes from the southland.

Alas it was not to be, the Giants looked lackadaisical, apart from Bonds' RBI single in the first they didn't score until late, Zito got tagged in the sixth and things fell apart from there, 10 to 4, ho hum. But it was a beautiful day, the trip in on the ferry, the beautiful city, a discrete amount of liquid refreshment all combined for a good trip to the ballpark.

But it all turned sour for me (for a while) when it came time for the seventh inning stretch. Then we were instructed (even though they said please) to rise and remove our caps for the singing of 'God Bless America'.

I sat down and put my hat on. Look, Giants, MLB, quit telling me to get up and adjust my attire like I'm a trained seal. I do not believe in God, I don't want the nonexistent him or her to bless America, 'God Bless America' is not the national anthem, one is enough, and though my fellow sheeple seemingly rise and sit on command, hey, maybe you could get them to bounce up and down every inning, I will not.

I also resent this corruption of the seventh inning stretch. No self-respecting Dodger fan (if they exist) would stand between the top and bottom of the seventh, that's the point, the visiting team gets up before the top of the seventh, not with the home team.

So look, baseball fans, stop this madness and try to reclaim a little self respect. There is no reason to have a religio-patriotic festival where once stood a proud tradition, they are fucking with your minds and you are letting them.

It's for the good of the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home